Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a deceased family member or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated instead of throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who could really use them, and there are many people who need them. Keep reading to learn how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Donate a Pre-owned Hearing Aid
- About 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit nearly 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever had them
This is extremely worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been connected to multiple health problems from a greater risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The value of your hearing to your general health is supported by new studies coming out regularly. These health issues can be eliminated and in certain situations reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely persuasive point. But that expense can actually be lessened by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may simply not be feasible for them to afford a hearing aid.
Your used hearing aid can have a big impact, in the health, quality of life and financial well-being, for an individual in need who couldn’t otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are numerous volunteer organizations and makers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.